Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Water Line Replacement blues.....


Water Line Replacement blues…..

                As I was driving into work today I thought to myself that I hadn’t written a blog article in a while and started to consider my options.  As I entered my office, my assistant, Yvette, handed me a couple of telephone messages from residents that called.  They had questions about the TWW “Water Line Replacement Program” because they received a letter in the mail recently.  Blog article subject matter ….resolved.

                Some Lawrence residents that are TWW customers received a notification letter dated September 18, 2019 which provides information about the water line replacement program and how to register.  The deadline to register is October 15.  As I have said in the past (to frustrated and concerned residents seeking answers about all things water related), your water is provided by Trenton Water Works, which is a public utility regulated by the State of New Jersey.  The Township of Lawrence and its municipal government does not own, manage, operate or have any access to the internal operations of TWW.  Because of this, the information available to us is limited to what is provided by TWW and/or through State regulators.  Our Health Officer and I along with our Mayor have become knowledgeable about the issues because it is our obligation to do so on your behalf…and to provide assistance when we can.   Rest assured, that we continue to advocate for you to TWW, the Mayor of Trenton, and the State of New Jersey. However, any resident customer of TWW who has a question about the water line replacement program should call TWW.  The water line replacement program hotline set up by TWW is 609.989.3600.

                When I asked the resident that called me if he had called TWW, he said he had but the line just rings and no one answers.  This morning I called the TWW Communications Director and informed him of this problem.  He assured me that the hot line will have sufficient operators to assist customers.  There may be a little wait depending on the amount of calls received, but the caller should remain on the line and the line will be answered.  Here is the direct link to the program:  https://www.twwleadprogram.com/.  It has great information on it that may very well answer your questions. 

                I understand that the process can be frustrating, but it’s a new program and TWW is working through it.  As a municipal official I can’t tell you what to do, but I can tell you as a TWW customer I am taking advantage of the water line replacement program because it is a great opportunity to get new water line servicing my home at a greatly reduced cost.  Please know that the Township is involved in this program ONLY as the agent that collects the fees (by our Tax Collector) from the residents participating in the program because it is categorized as an “assessment” and would act as a lien if the fee is not paid. 

                Mayor Bobbitt and I recently met with the new Director of TWW, Steven J. Picco.  We had a great conversation and we let him know the concerns of our residents.  He is highly qualified and has a very good understanding of the issues involved in making the water utility something that we eventually never think about….confident that the water we are being provided is safe to drink and use.  Peace and Love, Peace….and…..Love!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Is this for lead pipes only?

Kevin said...

Hey Unknown! It is for lead pipes or galvanized steel pipes. Check out the TWW link I provided. It has all of the information.

Unknown said...

we are senior citizens,have lived with these lines for 60 yrs.we haven't sensed any problems. no one knows the cost.social security won't pay for those new lines.unless there is a special break for seniors we will not do it.





Kevin said...

Hey Unknown: Just an fyi...you wouldn't "sense" lead in your water. There has been a lot of information provided and documented about TWW and the water quality issues they had experienced over the last couple of years. And the costs are known. If you have any concerns and you don't want to call TWW, you can call me during the day at 609.844.7004 and I will fill you in on the information that I know.