Monday, August 26, 2019

Am I Normal?


This article has nothing to do about the operations of the municipal government or an issue of major importance to our community.  It’s just a gushy (yes, that is a word…I think?) personal reflection.  So if you have no interest, just CLICK “close”and you are free!

                I hope I am normal.  I guess I will find out by some of the comments I receive from this.  Last week, as I have done many times over my career, I was having an intense "internal" discussion with myself while doing some yard work.  These "conversations" are not visible to anyone else, but there are times when my wife will look at me funny and say, "What's wrong, you are making a weird face?"  And I respond (like any husband would), "Nothing, I'm not making a face."  Well, it had been a particularly rough couple of weeks at work (like I am sure we all have now and again) and I was going over some conversations I have had and revising my responses.   You know….like when someone says something rude to you…and you kind of let it go but then later on when you are alone deep in thought you come back with some real zingers…to yourself.  Well, I was going through multiple conversations and situations and thinking what I should have or could have said or done differently.  Regretfully, there was a lot of yard work that day.  I also threw in the occasional, “Why I am doing this job?” or “Is this all really worth it and maybe I am not cut out for “public” life?”   I find when I am doing yard work, I do some of my  best and worst thinking.  The grass is always greener effect hits me hard in those moments.   

                Anyway, I was having an epic internal "session" and the side that was winning was the one that wasn’t……positive.  It was the one saying “I don’t need this [insert adult word here]!”  Just then, a car pulls into my driveway.  It was a husband and wife seemingly out for a nice drive in a very cool car.  They are residents that I have met before, and who I know to be good people that care about our community.  I have never socialized with them, but the gentleman has come to my office in the past and we have had nice chats about all things “Lawrence” and “family.” 

                I curiously approached the car not knowing what to expect.  I steadied myself ready for some question about the food store in the LSC or, worse, the brush program!  As I reached the car, I saw they had a bouquet of freshly picked flowers that they had grown themselves.  They had posted a picture of the flowers in their backyard a while back on FaceBook and I commented that they were “awesome,” because…they were!  They extended the flowers to me and said that they thought my wife and I may enjoy them since I commented about them on FaceBook.   What??????  I know you all may be thinking to yourself, "Are these people real or are they also a part of Kevin’s weird “internal” brain function?" But I am happy to report they were real (the people…and the flowers), and they appeared at a moment when I was having some serious doubts about things.  Instantly, my faith in people and the community was restored!  There are way too many kind, thoughtful and respectful people in our Town than there are rude, underhanded and disrespectful…..by a wide margin.  The “struggle” is to remind ourselves of this, and just do the best we can with the best intentions.  None of us can control what others choose to do, but we can control what we do and how we do it.

                So THANK YOU to the nice couple who took the time out of their day to do something nice for no reason than to be nice.  It is something that will stay with me for a long, long time.  If we can all do a little more of this….how great would that be?    See, it was gushy…   Peace out Everyone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm Sure that You and Your Wife Appreciated the Flowers?
That Was an awfully Nice thing for Them to Do.
Hopefully, My Phillies will Rember to Hit the Ball Tonight?