Monday, October 28, 2019

October 23, 2019 Community Gathering Speech




          This past Monday afternoon I sat staring off and pondering what the community has been through over the past couple of weeks.  I try to think from the perspective of a resident, but it is difficult from my vantage point as the municipal manager for the Township.  I am stuck having more information than most on these issues, and I lose the perspective of a resident who is busy with work, family and the daily personal challenges that compete for your thoughts from day to day, hour to hour or minute to minute.  But I know that when you heard about the incident that occurred on Friday evening at the high school, it stopped most of you in tracks.  It jarred your sense community; your sense of peace; it caused you to feel a range of emotions that included anger, outrage, sadness, frustration and hopelessness.  It is what I felt. 

          It was at that moment I just wanted to do something.  I wanted as many of us as possible who call Lawrence Township our home to gather together.  To see each other.  To unify and make a singular statement, just by coming here together, that says we reject hatred, we reject racism and bigotry in all forms.  By being here together tonight, by looking into each other’s eyes, I hope that we see goodness in each other.  We are here because we care.  We care for one another, and for the young girls who were victimized by racist and despicable acts this past Friday night.  And we care enough to act to make things better.

          Nelson Mandella said the following:  No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background or his religion.  People learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.   

          I stand here not as a government official, but as someone who was raised in this community;  Who calls this community home;  Who is proud of this community;  And who understands that it is our diversity that just makes us better. 

          I have heard these last couple of days from many people that what happened on Friday night is not “our community.”  It’s not who we are.  But truth be told, for those young girls on that night it was their “community” and we need to own it as ours despite how uncomfortable it may make us feel.  We cannot forget or dismiss this. We must respond.  We can’t go back in time, we can only move forward.

           I am neither the race, age or gender of the victims last Friday.…and I cannot and will not say I understand how the hateful words and acts against them made them feel or what it feels like to be victimized by racism and hatred.  But as a resident of this community, I can be angry and outraged….and want better for everyone.  I know you all feel this way.  I can see it your faces.  I feel it by your presence here tonight. 

          So what we can do is for each of us take some personal responsibility to make change.   To act out of love for all, out of respect for all.  To call out racism and bigotry when you see it.  Teach your children to reject it completely and publicly.  Feel empathy and compassion for those that must live it every day in big ways and small ways….and if we each can do this, if we pledge to do this…...just maybe over time things will change. 

          I will end my remarks with this by a quote from Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Darkness cannot drive out darkness; Only light can do that.   (candle lighting ceremony).



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was hard to read on the RED background, but well said!

Anonymous said...

As a resident homeowner in Lawrence for 20 years that sent two children to the public schools, I largely agree with your sentiments. However, since you serve as an unelected township manager I am a bit confused as to why the public space on the township website links to this blog should it contain such overt "calls to action" and community organizing around issues better represented by the elected officials of the mayor and town council. As a lawyer and former Municipal Prosecutor, Municipal Attorney and Municipal Judge I would hope you would know better the proper space for your personal content.

Kevin said...

Thank you Anonymous. Please don’t be confused. I make it clear in my blog that I am not representing or speaking on behalf of the elected officials. But I am an appointed official and a human being. I communicate and work to solve problems with and for our residents every single day. I have established a more public line of communication with the residents that, I guess, is unorthodox and seems odd to some who are used to a more rigid form of communication. I am not advancing an idea that conflicts Church and State, but speaking out against racism and bigotry about an incident that happened in our community. I thought I was on safe ground with this. There are many residents that have expressed appreciation for my words at the community gathering. First and foremost I am a human being with thoughts and feelings….I am not a robotic public official but I also understand that there are limits to what I can and should say. I appreciate your thoughts and concerns. I will look further into whether my blog activity poses a legal problem to the Township, and will absolutely ensure proper action will be taken if it is. Call me if you want to meet up and talk about this further. We seemed to have gone through the same track in our career.